Earaches can occur at any age. However, in the majority of cases, it affects only one ear. The pain could be mild, severe, or scorching, and it could last for days, weeks, or even months. Patients suffering from earache may experience a fever and temporary hearing loss.
What are the symptoms of an earache?
There are no specific signs and symptoms of earaches. It may vary from person to person; however, most of them may experience one or more of the following:
- Burning sensation
- Loss of concentrations
- Muffled sounds
What are the causes of an earache?
Earaches are more likely to be caused by bacteria or viruses (Acute Otitis media). Allergies, colds, and other respiratory issues can also be the reason for earaches. Apart from these, some other causes of earaches can be:
- Wax build-up
- Fluid unbalance
- Access to water during bathing or swimming
- Excessive use of earphones or cotton swabs
- Head of jaw issues
How to get relief from earaches?
There are a few self-help tips following that patients may get relieved from their earaches.
- Cold and warm compresses: Using cold and warm compresses alternatively for a few minutes can relieve the pain of an ear infection.
- Try exercises: Patients suffering from earache should rotate their neck to the right until it is parallel to their right shoulder for ten and fifteen seconds. Keep repeating the process on the other side. Next, raise their shoulders to the point where they can reach their earlobes and hold the position for five to ten seconds.
- Ear drops: To treat ear infections, naturopathic ear drops contain a variety of herbs and essential oils. For example, they could have garlic, ginger, tea tree oil, mullein, or other herbs. Natural ear drops are available for purchase at a chemist shop.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers, Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and antibiotics may also help treat an earache.
- Facial gua sha: This is a massage technique that uses a jade or rose quartz stone to relax muscles and improve circulation. It also helps free the tight jaw and neck muscles, allowing the ear to relax.
- Acupressure Techniques: Acupressure techniques are very effective for ear problems. To try this technique, patients should tilt their head sideways, and allow resting their ear on their cupped palm, creating a tight seal. Then gently push their hand back and forth toward the ear in a rapid motion. Also, they can rub and massage their earlobes for better results.
If a patient faces persistent ear pain after following the abovementioned tips, they should consult an ENT specialist in Mumbai or nearby. ENT specialists are well versed in ear conditions. They have the proper equipment to check the issue thoroughly. The examination can range from typical physical examination to audiometry tests. So that patient can be given a complete treatment solution.
Those looking for an ENT specialist in Mumbai can book an appointment with Nanavati Max Hospital and get rid of all their ENT problems in the least time possible.